my own woods

Saturday, May 15, 2010

There is something perfect about silence and being alone. I understand Thoreau's desire to live in the woods. It's so peaceful. From this peaceful lot in Montreat, I can hardly see the road below from the porch.

It's true I have to share the woods with an abundance of creatures. Some cute, like the chipmunk that scurried out of my path, and some less so- I seem to attract a large following in the insect world.

Brandi Carlisle's got a great song called "Have You Ever" that goes like this:

Have you ever wandered lonely through the woods?
Everything there feels just as it should
You're part of a life there; you're part of something good
Have you ever wandered lonely through the woods?
...
Have you ever stared into a starry sky?
Lying on your back, you're asking why
What's the purpose? I wonder who am I
Have you ever stared into a starry sky?

And it goes on. To answer her questions- I have wandered lonely through the woods. It's perfect. I highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS