Initial passions

Sunday, September 19, 2010

I've changed my mind. Again. This time, I am reverting back to something I've always wanted to do. When I was in elementary school and middle school, I wanted to be an art teacher. Art was always my favorite subject (other than Social Studies or History, but that's another story for another time) and I could think of nothing better to do than to become an artist or an art teacher. I guess I had somewhere in the back of my mind, lofty notions of bringing art to everyone and hoping that they would enjoy doing art as much as I did. I think I would enjoy elementary school art most of all, but I think I could enjoy middle school art as well. I like the idea of tying in art history (which I love) with projects that students can do. The fact that my schedule would be a regular monday through friday job, with weekends off and school holidays is a bonus. Who wouldn't want that? It would be an exceptional schedule for me. Yes, I know being a teacher wouldn't be all fun; I'm a realist. I know there are endless amounts of lesson plans- multiple ones for an art teacher because you teach many classes and grades at once and parents and certifications and student teaching and all kinds of hard things to go through. But I think it could be very rewarding.

It's weird though. When I got the call to go to seminary in 10th grade, I abandoned my dreams of becoming an art teacher or an art historian and fully committed myself to going on the track to seminary. And I was okay with that. It wasn't as if I felt coerced into leaving it behind and following something new. But I feel like I am leaving that behind to go to school and study something other than religion. That seems strange to me. But I think I have to realize that sometimes God calls us to more than one direction and perhaps sometimes a call isn't canceled, but rather put on hold to accomplish something else. Now I'm just left to discern whether or not that is the case here. Am I meant to be an art teacher or a pastor? Or both?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS