"And I'm back in the game!" -10 Things I Hate About You

Friday, May 6, 2011

I know I haven't posted for a week (can't believe it's already May 7!), but I have been ever so busy. I've made so many decisions in the last week I can hardly keep them straight. So here's the rundown on my life:

1. I have applied to Clemson University (in Clemson, SC for all ye international folk)- a public school best known for work in the research sciences, architecture and engineering, and agricultural studies. I know it seems like an odd place for a religion major to choose, but it's a solid school and I know some fantastic people who go there and some awesome people who went there (my parents). It's my top choice. I also applied to the College of Charleston (in my hometown of Charleston, SC). It's got a great religion program and BONUS- Hannah (my sister) goes there too. Also a great school, public, and offers more in the way of the liberal arts. I'd be honored to get into either one and am nervously awaiting replies!

2. I finished both 6 page college applications. I hunted down SAT scores from archives (you know you're getting old when your test scores and high school transcript go to live in Archive Land) and then putting a rush order on them. I didn't even remember what I got on my SAT. I'm sorry if any of you reading this are affiliated with the SAT board, but seriously, ask most of the college kids who are juniors, seniors or just graduated, and they will tell you that they too forgot their scores. So I found mine out. This is how smart I was in 2006: Reading- 710, Math- 660 (never did like those numbers), Writing 730 (couldn't you tell with how utterly fantastic this blog is?? Insert a little sarcasm and a smile there). BOOYAH! So a whopping 2100 on a scale of 2400. Not terribly shabby. But that was 5 years ago so I'm not too sure how I would measure up now. I guess I'll find out if I get into school and then what I do when I get there. Also pulled AP records out of archives and requested transcripts from high school, Queens and Trident. Do you understand how amazing it is to complete all of that in five days? Or how much it costs? I will not tell you that number for fear of deterring anyone who wants to re-apply to school and has been out for a while. It's totally worth it. At least I hope it will be. I do have to say, as far as applications themselves go, schools have made it incredibly easy with the online applications. I would like to take the chance and toot my own horn for being ridiculously productive and driven to get all of that out: toot toot!

3. I'M GOING TO SCOTLAND. I wanted to write I'M GOING TO FREAKING SCOTLAND. But I thought the all caps and the simple sound of the word Scotland would be enough. I am leaving June 8th and coming back the 29th. You have no idea how happy I am. I did the happy dance three times today. I've known this for a little while now, but getting that printed copy of my airline reservation today with all of the little numbers for seats (window seats all the way!!!) and times and flight numbers- it makes it REAL. Soooooo happy and soooooo excited. I am going to visit Natalie for a week, then spend my time in the Lake District in England (try Bing images or watch the version of Pride and Prejudice with Kiera Knightly), Glasgow, Edinburgh and then probably some trips to random castles, infinite museum visits because I am a museum nerd and I can spend ALL DAY there and no one is there to hurry me along, wander around the cities and towns with my jaw open, and shop for the month of birthdays that will happen about a month after I get back. I will then post so many pictures on this blog you'll get bored. I'm taking my iPod touch so hopefully I'll be able to write short blog posts about where I am and what I'm doing so you can be insanely jealous. Several goals: try haggis (not for the faint of heart or stomach- pun kinda intended), find a yak farmer, and have as much fun as possible.

IF YOU HAVE BEEN TO SCOTLAND OR THE LAKE DISTRICT, OR YOU LIVE IN THE UK, PLEASE PLEASE COMMENT OR EMAIL AND GIVE ME SUGGESTIONS ON WHERE TO GO, THINGS TO EAT, THINGS TO SEE, PLACES (CHEAP) TO SLEEP, AND GENERALLY GET THE FLAVOR OF THAT AMAZING PLACE! I WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE IT. THINGS THAT ARE FREE ARE ESPECIALLY ENCOURAGED. Thanks, y'all. (Hopefully my charming southern accent will be endearing to those with a highland brogue, haha.)

4. I have a lovely boyfriend. His name is Thomas and he is amazing. Just thought you should know. :)

And the title quote can be applied to almost all of these things. I'm taking my life and fate into my own hands and it's thrilling. And the only people I need permission from to leave the US/enter the UK are customs officers. I've got a valid passport. I'm doing life on my own terms. AND I'M LOVING IT!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS