Interesting thing in the world and small commentary:

Monday, January 2, 2012

The PostSecret app is down. I love the PostSecret blog. It is awesome. Apparently there was a lot of controversy around the app and misuse of it. The FBI was involved. Woah. I don't know the whole story, but it is fascinating that something so small could cause such a ruckus! I have been internet searching to find out exactly why (other than the post on the site itself), but no such luck. Long and short of it: people can no longer instantly publish their thoughts and secrets. Hummmm. I did not have the app, but I am fascinated with PostSecret. I have one of the books and I check the blog every week. If you've never looked at it, you should definitely find it. Of course, this blog is pretty much a very long secret. But PostSecret is different. When I wrote earlier that I was worried about Thomas being married to someone with Bipolar Disorder, it was in part because of a secret posted a while ago. It said "When you're in a relationship with a person who has a mental illness, you have a relationship with the mental illness, not the person." It's a terrible thing to read, as a person with a mental illness. I mean, I know that's how some people think through personal experience, but it's awful just the same. I can't speak for everyone with a mental illness but I think a lot of us are secretly terrified that that is how everyone else thinks, or will think, about us. That our disease overshadows our personhood. So no matter how much we trust someone, we don't ever want to feel like a burden. Horrid feeling, feeling like a burden. I read these secrets, mailed in on postcards, typed and sent on iPhones, and I wonder at the people who wrote them. Where are they in life? How old are they? Are they relieved to have sent their secret out to be read by millions? Does that satisfy them? I wish I could read every secret. Some make me laugh out loud, some make me want to cry. Others make me think that there is someone else out there who shares my same feelings or thoughts- and that's pretty cool. Yes, I also wish I had come up with it. The vast number of secrets makes me think of the quote by Plato: "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." It's true. We don't know the secrets of people. I have plenty! Bipolar disorder is a secret sometimes. It makes sense on this blog, but there's not really any need to tell everyone. My caterer doesn't need to know. That'd just be weird. Yes, shrimp and grits would be great and by the way, I'm bipolar! Just weird. PostSecret lets you tell things like that to a million people out of the blue. It's a way to rant sometimes, a way to tell weird habits, to profess love and hate, to be honest without the fear of judgement from people you know. I don't really know why I wrote this, I have no endorsement deal with the site. I just think it's interesting to share and gain perspective. Not always good (the relationship with mental illness secret, confirming your worst fears), but sometimes good in discovering hope and random acts of kindness. Maybe the app will one day run again. I'd buy it for sure. Until then, I'll read the blog. www.postsecret.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS