Ever have one of those days that feels like a week compressed into 24 hours? Yeah, me too. So here's a list of 50 awesome things that will keep the joy of life alive.
1. Dreaming dogs that chase unseen prey.
2. A group of friends who pray for you when your husband has to leave for two months because he's in the Navy and that's the life of a Navy wife.
3. The smell of bacon and the lovely fact that it's in almost everything.
4. Getting mail that's not from an insurance company, car dealership, or a bill. Handwritten.
5. Birthdays. Birthdays are awesome. You have successfully completed another year. No matter what the age, rejoice that you've lived so far!
6. The satisfying clack of a typewriter.
7. Having a really really cold beverage on a really really hot day.
8. Turning the tv on to the beginning of your favorite movie.
9. Falling in love.
10. Running barefoot through the grass and not freaking out about ants or sharp objects.
11. The happy dance you do when you finally accomplish something really awesome.
12. Taking a trip and all of the lights are green.
13. Framing pictures of the people you love in your house, so that no matter where they are in the world, they're always with you.
14. Getting a hug right when you really need it.
15. The achy feeling when you've worked out really hard and inside you're like "I'm a beast! Feel the burn!"
16. Long, hot showers.
17. Saving money.
18. The smell of library books. I'm a sucker for musty print.
19. The deeply gratifying love of new school or office supplies.
20. Knowing that you are loved by someone or your family or your friends.
21. For women: walking barefoot after spending too much time in heels.
22. The wonderful feeling of having just made your bed. Followed by...
23. Getting into a freshly made bed.
24. Arriving at the airport after three weeks in Scotland, smelling like plane and travel and almost missing my flight due to an agricultural delay in New York with a heavy backpack, only to find that my boyfriend has dressed in his dress whites, bought me flowers and sweet tea, then picks me up, backpack and all, and twirls me around. Oh yeah. Thomas did that last year.
25. Hanging art.
26. Rescuing a puppy from the pound.
27. Starting a new journal.
28. When you're a ginger and your red hair soaks up sunlight and makes it radiant! Call me a ginger, but you're just jealous.
29. Being professionally photographed.
30. Going to bed and falling asleep within five minutes- no tossing and turning.
31. When a dog greets you and it's like he's saying "OH MY GOD YOU'VE BEEN GONE SO LONG AND I THOUGHT YOU WERE NEVER COMING BACK BUT THAT'S OKAY I WASN'T MAD I'M SO GLAD YOU'RE HOME YAY YAY YAY!"
32. Getting a parcel and you weren't expecting it.
33. Winning Monopoly.
34. Reading a whole book in a day because it was just that good.
35. Traveling by yourself.
36. Opening something that's new. To go along with that, pealing off those protective layers of plastic they put over electronics, picture frames and mirrors.
37. Helping someone out without even knowing it.
38. Finishing all of something- all of the food in the fridge, a pile of magazines, cleaning the house, the last of the cereal, a project, a job, etc.
39. Having useless bits of trivia floating around in my head and then being able to use it in real life!!
40. Earning money.
41. Sleeping all the way through the night and waking up well rested.
42. Re-reading your favorite children's book. Like "The BFG" by Roald Dahl.
43. Learning a really cool story about your family's history.
44. Getting comments on this blog.
45. Watching someone enjoy something you made (like making a 3 year-old's day when you present her with a seersucker shark that's bigger than she is so she runs around the whole day yelling "SHARK, SHARK, NOM NOM I bite you!")
46. The cool side of the pillow.
47. Peanut M&Ms. They just can't be beat.
48. When the captain announces the plane's descent into your hometown, and you fly above, looking at your tiny world and then touching down... AT HOME.
49. Having a private dance party (music in your head, or out loud).
50. Laughing so hard your side aches.