No. 14- My Middle Name

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Bennett.

I love my middle name. I know it's not a "girl's" name, but that didn't stop my parents. It's my dad's middle name too. Samuel Bennett. I'm Lauren Bennett. Bennett was my great-grandmother's maiden name. And as a bonus fact- she and I share the same birthday! Both born on November 3. She is also the person I mentioned who would come to my dream dinner of six.

I always thought that Bennett was a surname (and it is), but it also means "little blessed one." I've always been the daughter interested in family history, so when I was younger my grandfather gave me the Bennett family crest. Our motto is "De bon voulir le Roi" (to serve the King with goodwill). I was going to scan the crest- it's all fancy with gold, silver, and red- but it is rather fragile and old. Basically, they think the Bennett family originated in France and followed William the Conquerer to England. We may or may not be of royal connection. Who knows these days? I doubt this is going to turn into a Disney movie. I think the cool thing is that Rev. William Bennett came to Jamestown in 1626.

I like that my middle name has history and an important connection to my family. It's an honor bearing my father's middle name and my great-grandmother's maiden name. I know that Shakespeare said
"What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other would smell as sweet."
Well, Will, if you knew me, you'd know that I don't like roses. And I like having a name with history. It grounds me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS