23 Weeks

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

 23 Weeks! My little girl is the size of a grapefruit.

How far along? 23 weeks and officially in my sixth month. Wow! The Jellybean is the size of a grapefruit. 11.5 inches long, and over a pound. So you know, there is a little bit of a discrepancy in the size of the fruits. If we go by this grapefruit, she shrank from last week. Unlike the first trimester where embryos develop at around the same pace, the fetus in the second trimester after week 19 or so develops differently. Some gain weight faster, some slower. It's normal, and why babies come out at different weights. I'll keep trying to give you measurements, but they are only guesses (unless I have another ultrasound).
Total weight gain? 13 pounds. Slow and steady.
Maternity clothes? I went shopping this weekend and got some more maternity bottoms. Little Girl isn't sitting very low, but she's not very high either. Having some give in my pants keeps both of us comfortable! Not many maternity tops because I'm not very big. They tend to make me look frumpy and no one likes to feel like that!
Movement? It's glorious. She freaked me out yesterday, refusing to move until almost midnight. Baby books tell me that it's normal, before week 28, not to feel anything for a day, but since she started moving where I could feel it, it's been very constant. After half of a protein shake with some sugar in it, she picked back up again! Last week, for the first time, she moved and I could feel her kick with my hand on my stomach. Say some prayers for her to keep that up, because as you know, Thomas would love it!!
Gender? It's a she-bean!

 I know y'all live to see me look goofy, but this week I demanded some good shots.

Miss anything? Being able to sleep on my back. Really, not too many complaints.
Food cravings? Nilla wafers, tomato soup, and fajitas. I love the Odwalla smoothies, shakes, and juices for when I'm still a little hungry or feel that I didn't live up to my nutrition requirements for the day. I've heard the Naked brand of juices are also good but I haven't tried them yet.
Have you started to show? Yep, even though I still have people tell me I don't look pregnant!
Sleep? I have done better with getting to bed earlier and falling asleep faster. I am sleeping like I'm in a coma though! I'm thinking of backing off my usual two Benadryl to one. And I've definitely been setting an alarm so I don't miss out on the whole day.
Bipolar Disorder? Still under control. I mentioned that I saw my psychiatrist last week and I see my therapist every three weeks. Everyone has to do what works for them, but this has been good for me (and keeps all of my medical professionals happy, too).
Belly Button in or out? Still in. Getting wider though.
Looking forward to? My midwife appointment on Monday! I have lots of questions and as always, hearing that heartbeat makes my day. I love having made the slightly more unconventional choice for a midwife, even though she still works with 9 other OBs and I'll still deliver in a hospital. If I've learned anything so far though, it's that pregnancy (and soon parenting) are things where you ultimately have to make decisions on your own that make you comfortable.
What will I do with these pictures? Sometime around a major holiday, Shutterfly will send me a code for some free prints. I plan on working these blog posts and the pictures into a pregnancy book of sorts for me to remember and for my little girl to read as she's growing up.

This one is my favorite.

Best moment this week? Three this week (in no order).
1. Finishing my registry at Babies R Us! My kind neighbor/friend took me out for the afternoon and helped me out so much! I will definitely pass that gift on to other friends who are pregnant later because it was just so helpful and eyeopening.
2. Going to Ikea this weekend to get some things for the nursery and then my husband insisting that we go to the Gap Maternity store in Charlotte (since we don't have one here). For an hour, he wandered the corner of the BabyGap devoted to maternity clothes with me and picked things out and sat in the dressing room. Have I mentioned that I love him?
3. Taking the Jellybean to her first art exhibit in Columbia. She's just so portable! ;) I saw a beautiful exhibit on the Impressionists that I had been longing to see and the rest of the day I got to spend with my awesome sister, Hannah! A lucky week for me.
Note to the Jellybean: Hello Little Girl! You got your first two quilts today! It makes your mom feel like a slacker since I haven't gotten started yet. You'll be happy to know that your puppies, Moby and Otto, are calming down in preparation for your arrival. You haven't met them yet (even though you can hear them bark!), but they love the little girls who live next door and are very good with them. Sorry if you've felt Otto's paws on my belly a few times- we are still working on getting him to jump less. But at night, he loves to sniff your current abode and rest his head on my belly. We are wondering if they know you're in there. Keep moving and shaking in there, Little Bit. Grow nice and strong for us. Love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS