Video footage of my family from 1937

Monday, June 24, 2013

We take for granted how easy it is to get video footage of ourselves these days. Most people have phones with cameras and don't think twice about recording a little moment. It was a little less common to have a video camera nearby in 1937.

My grandfather was born in Lockhart- a tiny mill town in South Carolina in 1926. His father was the accountant for the mill. In 1937 a videographer came to Lockhart to take some footage and my grandfather and great-grandfather were caught on film! To see my 11 year-old grandfather and my great-grandfather (whom I never met) - it was amazing, even just for a few seconds.

Rats. It won't let me embed the video, so I'll have to link directly to YouTube. That's right- my grandfather is on YouTube!

My grandfather: Click here, go to minute 01:40. He's in overalls holding a bicycle (the middle boy).

My great-grandfather: Click here, go to minute 06:16. He's the shorter gentleman- and yes, my grandfather has that exact same smile!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS