In the trenches

Monday, September 2, 2013

I have diaper cream permanently stuck under the nail of my right index finger. My daughter has sneezed (a big, gross sneeze) into my open mouth. I haven't slept for longer than a stretch of 4.5 hours since August 19. She has also pooped directly into my hand and is going through a retaliatory phase of pooping or peeing (or doing both) as soon as there's a clean diaper in the diaper changing sequence. My hormones are insane- wickedly hot one moment, the next, I'm bundling up like it's not 90 degrees outside. And even though it's been almost two weeks, I still have moments where I am in a great deal of pain... down there.

But it's worth it. It's oh so very worth it.

Because my little girl is sleeping right now. Swaddled into a little burrito, she has managed to bust both of her tiny feet out of the little ventilation slit. She babbles and coos. When she has some quality dad time and I come upstairs to find her snuggled into the crook of his arm, it melts my heart. She will look at me and give me a huge toothless grin, and I don't care if gas really is the culprit there.

Big milestones (of sorts) around here:
-Thomas/Dad has been back at work for two days now. I'm still getting the hang of having a baby and 2 dogs and the house again, but we'll get there.
-Jellybean got her first bottle last night, courtesy of Thomas. She was a little confused at first, but in her world, milk is a great motivator, so once she figured that my milk was in there, it was all good.
-We actually made it to church yesterday. On Thomas's first day back at work! I don't know if delusional or ambitious is the right word, but somehow the two of us got out of the house fully dressed and made it to church. She was perfect, everyone was smitten, and glory be, all went well.

And photos of cuteness (because grunting has commenced from the baby monitor. Thankfully, she wakes up super slow -just like her father- so I have a few minutes before I have to feed her):

He's totally smitten, if you can't tell.

This cuteness happened after she went through 4 diapers in one diaper change. Satisfied face, no?

We call this her "fight the power" stance.

How 'bout them Tigers?!

So much cuteness in one child!

We all make this yawning face a lot.

Okay, so I just wanted to let you know that I'm here, I'm alive, and so far, I haven't cried in the shower. That last one is a lie. I have. At least 3 times. But it's hormones and happiness and I'm good. Promise. Okay, well Otto is whimpering so I have to take him outside. Why I signed up to be in charge of so many creatures' bodily functions, I don't know. Over and out, L

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing...So adorable...And the crying in the shower bit...still happens and Will is almost 7...not nearly as much but just so you know :-) It's hard being a momma but oh so worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love seeing pictures of Will on Facebook- he is so cute. Thanks for giving me a head's up about the crying- at least I'll be prepared.

      Delete
  2. Oh I'm so glad you posted! She is just so dang cute! Way to go mama. :) I felt pain for about 3 weeks with Asher this time. I just pushed myself harder than I should've (but...unfortunately couldn't help it with Skyler back to school after 4 days and with having a toddler in the house this time around also. I'm hiring a nurse for myself next time, lol!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very hard not to push yourself. The mentality of having to get so much stuff done and the lack of sleep doesn't help cognitive thinking! It's hard to remember and remind yourself that your body just went through a *major* ordeal.

      Delete

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS