Monday, January 27, 2014

Five months

Her little face gets more expressive by the moment and her body has definitely followed suit this month- there are always grabbing hands and flailing limbs- it's hard to catch more than a blur!


Things to know about Margaret at five months:
-Rolling over! From back to stomach one day and then stomach to back the next. As exciting as that is, her pediatrician said it's not even a milestone anymore! When babies were put to sleep on their stomach, 90-95% of infants could roll over by four months. Now it's barely 45%.
-We have weaned her from the swaddle. We ordered one of these in hopes that it would make the transition easier and she slept 10.5 hours the first night! We had to stop swaddling cold turkey, as she starting rolling over in her swaddle. We got the Zipadeezip that afternoon in the mail, I threw it in the wash and it was dry by bedtime! It's been pretty good and I hope it will get even better.
-Solids! We've been easing our way into organic whole grain rice cereal (makes me sound way more crunchy/granola mom than I really am), and she loves it. She likes being spoon-fed and it's just too cute to see her eat. We've been a little sporadic- fingers crossed we get our act together this week.
-She's sleeping in her nursery pretty much full time. She had a fever after her 4 month shots, so I kept her with me that night (she woke countless times!), but most of the time she's snoozing in her big girl crib. It's working out well for everyone, but I must say I loved having her co-sleep for the first four months. We rarely opted to bed-share, but there were definitely some times where pushing the covers down and spooning her would calm a fussy girl.


-4 month visit stats: (more like four and a half because of holiday hours) 14 pounds, 13 ounces and in the 80th percentile for weight. 26 inches tall! 90th percentile for height and the 92nd percentile for cranial size (that would be from your father, Margaret).
-Margaret got baptized Sunday! In the Lutheran church, we believe in one baptism for the forgiveness of sins (oh hey, Nicene Creed!) and we believe that it can be done in infancy, because baptism is a gift from God, not something that can be attained through a certain measure of faith. If you're like, say what? Then take the time to read this. It's a quick read. Love me some sacraments.
-Miscellaneous: She's really into faces, always grabbing at cheeks and lips and noses. Constantly making noises. She's developed this hilarious little fake cough that she made during the baptism- I lost it at the front of church. Still taking three naps a day and eating about five times a day, plus solids. She's still okay with strangers, but definitely prefers us and my family. Though she took to Natalie (one of my best friends and her godmother) in about an hour- and probably spent more time in Natalie's arms in the last 6 days than she did in my own! I've never seen her take to anyone so fast. Certainly made me feel confident in my decision!

Behind the scenes with one of her favorites. (the feeling is mutual)

Things to know about parenting this month:
-Never say never. I was so sure I was going to make it to 6 months before starting solids, but that didn't happen. Margaret's pediatrician was my pediatrician, so he's been doing this for a while. :) He said that veggies and rice cereal were fine to go ahead and start with. Margaret's been swiping at food and showing interest in general, so we went ahead. I asked some friends on Facebook- different answers all! So we're just going with what's approved by our pediatrician and what feels right to us. I will be making most of my own baby food, so I'm looking forward to that! It should be fun.
-Read this. It made me laugh, it made me shake my head, it made me nod along in agreement. "Using CIO will make them think they've been abandoned and will be eaten by a lion shortly. It also causes brain damage. Not getting enough sleep will cause behavior and mental problems, so be sure to put them to sleep by any means necessary, especially CIO, which is the most effective form."
-I'm learning to read my child's cues- and they are ever changing. Margaret set her own schedule at 6 weeks. I sort of gently guided her into a sleep, eat, activity, sleep schedule as a newborn, but she started sleeping through the night when she was ready. I know it sounds very laissez-faire and like we let her rule the roost (she does not), but sometimes it's easy to get caught up in what works. Until 4 months, she napped in the late evening, woke for a feed and went to bed around 11. She slept through the night, so we weren't exactly complaining. But a few weeks ago, she made it clear (via lots of fussiness) that something had to change. And so we abruptly shifted to a much earlier bedtime of 8:30-9. No easing into it. We just decided to try it one night and we haven't deviated since.
-Bedtime routines are good. About 7:45, we go upstairs and Thomas gives Margaret a bath (she loves this part). After dimming lights and putting on clean jammies, I feed her and then zip her up in her Zipadeezip. Then Thomas reads her a story or two and part of her Bible. It's pretty simple, but it works wonders. She knows exactly what to expect next and it gives Thomas and I each some quality snuggles with our girl. The early bedtime then gives us some time to catch up with each other and do things around the house. I'm really glad we found something that works for us.

I love this little noisemaker.

Pin It

2 comments:

  1. omg, 5 months?! No way. Cute as ever. Love how she's looking at her daddy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know- I'm pretty sure she was born last week. :(
      And yes- completely transfixed by her father. I love watching those two- it makes me melt.

      Delete