So what's up with you?

Saturday, February 1, 2014

At the moment, this blog makes no profit. Nada. So I don't worry too much about switching up content. If my life shifts, so does this blog. But I do want to try for it to remain a bit about me, as well as my darling girl. One of my goals for the year is to try to post regular content. Not "on Wednesdays we wear pink" content (bonus points if you get that reference), but posting weekly or bi-weekly, if I'm feeling incredibly ambitious. Of course, it all may fall through, but valiant efforts and all. So here's a post about what's going on in areas that may not entirely revolve around diapers.

  I have no relevant photos, but to show that this is not baby related, here's
a photo of my alcoholic beverage from this evening. Moving on...

I guess the big news around this casa is that we are moving! Thomas officially has orders to report to a sub out of Washington. So we'll be Pacific Northwesterners (PNW dwellers?) for the next 4 years! It's the Navy, so there's always a chance that something else will come up, but for now, we are looking into housing options and adjusting to the idea of not living in the South. We are looking on the Kitsap Penninsula (across Puget Sound from Seattle) and will be moving there some time in June.

How do I feel about it? Well, that's a loaded question.

It's really, really far away. All of my immediate family lives on the East Coast. Actually, they almost all live in various parts of South Carolina. I have some extended family across the country, but none in Seattle, or very close to it. It's hard watching Margaret play and knowing she won't get to see the people we see so often here. It's hard to leave my friends behind- people I've known for years and the friends Thomas and I have made as a couple. We love living here and it's going to be really hard to leave this behind for so long.

On the other hand, we are kind of excited. Washington state was a top choice for us because of the shorter deployment schedule. Many subs have 6-9 month long deployments, but those out of Washington are only 3 months long. Depending on the year, he will be deployed once or twice, with 5 month breaks in between. I know that to most of you, it sounds crazy to be excited about 3 month deployments, but given the other options, we are pleased. We are also happy to be moving to the Seattle area. I think it's going to be a great place to raise Margaret. There's tons to do and from all of the pictures I've seen, it's gorgeous. If you've ever been out there, I'd love to hear about it.

I've taken about a week-long break from my quilt. I had some friends in town for Margaret's baptism, then we had some heavier winter weather than normal (some extended power outages and a husband unexpectedly home from work), so it wasn't really at the forefront of my mind. I do have some pictures to post in a few days, as well as some updates on some handmade things I've worked on for Margaret. My next project is a quilt for Thomas- and I am so excited!

This next part may shock some of you. Like any of you who know even a little about me. Thomas and I are signing up for the Cooper River Bridge run. And I've joined his gym. And I'm going to start running.

I'll wait while y'all finish fainting. Someone grab the smelling salts.

So I guess now that I have told the internet, I have to actually do it. Here we go. Have I mentioned that I hate running?

I guess my brain fell out when the baby did. I'll keep you posted.

4 comments:

  1. ahh PNW!! Seattle area is awesome! If I ever moved out of Oregon, it'd be to Seattle area (or Austin TX). Exciting! We'll have to meet up! It's only 3.5 hrs or so from my house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be so much fun! We've never been to that area (I've been to Vancouver for a few days), so Northern Cali and Oregon are on our list as well. While I'm nervous, it's hard not to be excited too!

      Delete
  2. That's really close to where Toben is from! If we went back to visit in the next few years (which is very likely) we could come and see you too. Excellent. If you ever went up to Vancouver Island, we could hook you up with some awesome people!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AHHHH visits!!! I'm trying to convince Thomas that we need to go to Scotland again (which isn't hard, he wants to go, but we have to save some pennies)- so some way, some how, we will see each other! I am sure we will definitely take full advantage of living there- including some travel to Alaska and the Vancouver area.

      Delete

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS