Thursday, June 5, 2014

Catching Up

 Unrelated photo. But- pigtails!

Lots of stuff to catch up on. Life here has been a little bit insane, made even more so by the fact that we just found out yesterday that we are moving to Washington. EEK!

I know everyone has lots of questions, so here we go:

1. What about OCS?
Thomas found out that he did not get in on Tuesday afternoon. We really don't know why and we aren't sure if he's going to apply again. The Navy does what it wants. We got lots of confirmation that he was a great candidate- it could be that he just needs to stay in his current job or that they don't have space in what he applied for. I'm still crazy proud of my hard-working husband. I married my husband, not his job title.

2. When are you moving?
Thomas starts work August 4, and technically detaches from Charleston early July. We don't have a set date of departure or arrival yet, but ideally, we'd like to have a few weeks to settle in before Thomas starts work. It will probably take us about a week to drive cross-country. Nothing like the joy of 50 total hours of driving. We are thinking of taking the southern route and then up the California coast. We'd love to see the Grand Canyon. Any suggestions from other cross-country travelers?

3. Where are you going?
Bremerton, Washington! It's right across Puget Sound from Seattle. We may end up in another small town nearby. Which leads us to...

4. Where are you living?
Umm... we don't know. Yet! We are planning on buying our first house. We are leaving next week to look at some houses and find a place to raise Margaret for the next few years. I am really excited to have a space of our own and to put some equity into our first house.

5. How do you feel about this?
Oh man. Totally overwhelmed. We have pages of things to do, clean, pack, cancel, apply for, and figure out. We are also sad. I'd be lying if I said that this feels like a grand adventure. I'm really going to miss the life we've built here and the friends we've made. Charleston (and the many special people who call it home) will always be dear to me. It's going to be hard to move so far away when it feels like we have so little time to say goodbye. Right now, we are trying really hard to stay afloat and be as optimistic as we can about the opportunities that Washington holds for us. I know it will get easier with time, so maybe in a week I won't be so weepy!

If you have other questions, leave them for me here and I'll do my best to answer them.


I know I've been slacking on this blog, but life has been a little crazy, as you can see. Maybe if I have a spare minute this week, I can pop up some pictures and a short 8 and 9 month post.

If you want to catch up with me on the daily, check out Instagram. I'm sure there will be tons of house-hunting photos, road-tripping pics, and everything in between!

Pin It

4 comments:

  1. I'm so jealous of her hair. I know what I'm doing with mine tomorrow now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're all a little jealous of hair that awesome.

      Delete
  2. Ahh! YAY for the PNW! I, for one, am excited!! I LOVE that area! Have a great trip out and I hope you find exactly what you are looking for and need for your precious family. And OH MY WORD. When did Margaret get so grown up!? Insane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are getting more excited! We bought our tickets and we are flying out on Tuesday. We are also super nervous. :)
      And I don't know when Margaret became this tiny little grown up. Can't believe she'll be a year in just a few months.

      Delete